The Institute of Physiology at Zaloška 4 in Ljubljana was founded in 1920 at the University of Ljubljana, making the Institute nearly as old as the University itself. This is the central institute of physiology in Slovenia. The first Institute head was Professor Evgen Kansky (1920-45), the second one was Professor Albin Seliškar (1945-67), and the third one professor Gojmir Južnič (1967-78). He was succeeded by acting head Professor Anton Koren, who was then replaced by Professor Vito Starc (1984-2015). The current head is Professor Žarko Finderle (since 2015). Following the Second World War, many affiliates were established from the central Institute of Physiology at Zaloška 4. The Institute of Pathological Physiology and the Institute of Pharmacology were founded in 1945. In 1972, the Institute of Physiological Chemistry, which operated as part of the Institute of Physiology, separated from the central Institute and its work was taken over by the Institute of Biochemistry at the Faculty of Medicine. The Institute of Clinical Neurophysiology and the Institute of Clinical Cardiorespiratory Physiology at the University Medical Center Ljubljana were formed independently. Today in Ljubljana, physiology is studied in over 15 locations.